Haibun: Seeking Discomfort

Reaching for a metal gate in the Arizona summer sun feels as if a layer of skin burnt off. Just grabbing the steering wheel can be painful in the July afternoon. The sun infuses fury and scorn into each surface it reaches.


Often in this Sonoran sun, I’m pulled away from comfort: opening a hot gate, walking across a street with the smell of melting asphalt, and all the constant reminders of a 108 degree day in a summer of our climate crisis. It is impossible to stay comfortable in this weather and be outside.


This far into July, I find myself just grabbing the tool or the gate latch and working through the heat. When I get the chance, I dip my pole or tool into the water and it cools right down. Within a few seconds, the tools surface drops 30 degrees, but water isn’t always available. If I stop what I’m doing, the sun will only burn hotter. 


So I started seeking discomfort, started riding with my window down and the A/C off, letting the window breeze oscillates the temperature. By seeking the uncomfortable, by working with the hot pole or tool, I am surprised by comfort. I feel a the reset of a breeze. I don’t get woozy when it hits 110 like I did when it hit 100 last year. Comfort finds me when I look to embrace and not shy away from the uncomfortable. 



the wash, washed of all

spring floods, holding scolding rocks

baked in summer’s sun





Popular Posts