Haibun: Pushes and Pulls

This week, I wanted to sleep in, but knew I couldn’t. To get everything done that needed to get done, I had to wake up at 4:15am. Work starts early as the temperatures in the Valley have been over 100 a few times already this year. And each night my body starts to ache for sleep long before the coffee in my body will let sleep come.


Last week, I put my credit card into the reader and let $1300 come out of my account. I needed brakes and my brake pump was gone. I save all my money up to spend it on one emergency after another. These are just two things, of many, I faced recently. There’s always some way I miscommunicated, misunderstood, felt misunderstood, etc.


But the older I get, the more I understand the joy I find in my relationships: my little nephew’s bliss as we wrangle the chickens into their pen, the boring conversations I would miss if my loved ones were gone, my niece reading to me, and all the other million little things.


So as life 

“pushes and pulls, 

pushes and pulls, 

pushes and pulls,” 

it will never be enough to extinguish my joys.  



pulled branches, spring winds,

restored just to arch again;

how grown up worlds work





Popular Posts