Haibun: Aware Of The Changes

I remember going back to my elementary school when I was a sophomore in High School. My uncle, who was 3 years older than me, graduated. It was my first time back in this small little Upstate school. 


The checkered tile floor that seemed big enough for multiple grades felt so small. My relationship to it and it to me were in different proportions. So many less steps to go from the gym doors to the cafeteria, everything changed. I remember how much bigger I felt walking those halls. I felt aware of myself, I understood how much I had grown.


I also remember another time  in my life when I would spend every penny I had and never had any savings. Now as emergencies come up, and I go to my savings, I have a similar sense of a different proportion to my surroundings, an echo of that day in the Sharon Springs’ gym.


Life is like that, full of makers that remind us of maturing.



little cactus flowers 

gone to the small desert bellies,

spring’s fruit for dinner




Popular Posts