Haibun: Scarred and Flowering

Walking through the desert on state property, I was drawn to a cactus, holes in the middle and flowers on top. My mind raced to a time with this beautiful woman who kept apologizing about her mom body, stretched and aging. I thought she big brown eyes under her brown hair with her smile was stunning, but all I heard was protection from the standards I must be holding her too as well.


As I walked further, there was garbage all over: coolers turned targets made for the gun shells that lay scattered across the canyon floor along with broken glass and beer cans. My heart broke.


There’s so much beauty in this world that is being taken away from us by those who go before us. Their brokenness show up in how they leave their trash in the identity of a beautiful mom or on the canyon floor. Yet…


…Yet the cactus can still flower above the scars and open wounds.


flowering over

scared and open wounds of the 

cactus, spring renews





Popular Posts